Friday, January 16, 2009

While we are on the Subject

Ter mentioned Build A Bear. I have also heard of others who did a Build a Bear after their child died. If you do not know what Build a Bear is(I've never been to one, personally) you choose the stuffed animal design you wish, and then put a little heart symbol inside and fill it with stuffing and they close it up right then and there. They have other animals besides bears, and you can personalize them with outfits and accessories.

I have seen several family photos with a bear or other stuffed animal included in the photo in order to symbolize and include the child that has been lost.

And I saw an article in the paper a while ago (darned if I can find it now) and the Build a Bear representive said that it is not uncommon for people to bring in some cremation ashes to put inside the bear. They suggested to call ahead and find out when would be a quiet time to come to the store- to let the staff know and to make sure you are not there the same time as a child's birthday party, for example.

I am a big believer in doing WHATEVER GETS YOU THROUGH. If it is not hurting anyone, why the heck not? It is a way to fill empty arms, and something soft and small to hug.

I hope today is gentle for you. I'm sorry any of us need to be here. I'm glad to meet you, but sorry it is in this way. I'd much rather have met at a yoga class or somewhere, anywhere, else.
peace- emily

4 comments:

Ter said...

I did not do the ashes in the bear, I had not heard of that until after I got the bear, I believe. But either way that bear has brought me comfort, especially in the beginning, when I would photograph the bear because I had the desire, the need to photograph my baby and she wasn't here.

Unknown said...

I find myself taking pictures of his closet. Not that he ever wore the stuff in it, but it is his.

Marci said...

I bought a bear after I lost my baby boy. I dressed it like he were going fishing with his daddy. He loves to fish and I can just imagine them going together. Every time I see him it makes me sad, but it also makes me smile.

Zil said...

I told my husband I needed a new animal. This is a great idea. Thanks for sharing.